June 28, 2004

Sideling Hill.


Sideling Hill, in Western Maryland, June 2004. This photo was taken on the way back to Illinois a few weeks ago, from our five-week stay in Baltimore, Maryland. Sideling Hill is a mountain that literally has a road (highway, now) cut right through it. You can see the layers of rocks and such on the sides, and the view off of the mountain is killer. Everytime I actually stop there, I am above the clouds, and this was the first time in a long time I could even get the view such a height affords.
This is another photo of the same "hill" in January, taken on the way back from the holiday. The ice reflected so much light that this is the only photo worth posting. That's a very cold spot. Even this June, I had to put on a sweater while I was taking those photos. The morning sun made so much fog there in August (the spot was very cold from the evening and then was heated quickly in the summer sun) when we moved out here to Southern Illinois that I could barely see the road, let alone the view.

No comments: