June 07, 2004

Going home soon.

We are heading back to Illinois this weekend, for a restful summer wherein I have an independent study in Max Scheler, and the wife has a short history seminar. We were to be in Baltimore for five weeks, the longest time I would have been in town since way before I moved to Boston three years ago. We got some family visits out of the way during the first week, but then the car accident pretty much ruined our plans. We never got to go to Toronto, New York, Washington DC, Niagara Falls, to see more family, etc. There are friends that I never got to see and probably won't. All this is because of that idiot and his huge SUV. We are heading to Ikea (again) today, since some of the goods we bought were on sale, and well, you can always use more coffee cups. I also have to go to the dentist this afternoon. My second-to-last molars seem to be genetically gimpish. There is some kind of internal cavity that happened by itself that I have to get drilled out. The same happened to the tooth on the other side a few years ago. Just goes to show you: you can brush all you want, but sometimes the teeth have a mind of their own (just like being a good driver can't always protect you and your car from idiots who can't drive at all). I hate that drill. A few years ago, my front tooth got broken (long story). Both it and the tooth next to it had to be ground down to nothing and covered in caps (which were ordered in the whitest shade available, to match my teeth, thank you very much). I was horrified that at the tender age of 20, I had done life-long damage to my chompers. I need a nerve-block for dental work, and tonight, I'll be going out to dinner with my mother-in-law and her super-nice boyfriend -- most likely still drooling. Hopefully, I'll be able to talk enough without dribbling to talk about my Ikea goodies. :)

No comments: