July 12, 2004

Empty nest.


You can't tell from the photo, but there are baby birds in this little hut on a string that over-looks our balcony. Their Mama is in a tree, right off of the balcony. She's chirping at me to leave her babies alone, even though I don't even have the sliding glass door open and am taking a photo through one of several windows that I should really get around to washing. But now the family of finches is gone. The babies are all grown up, and their Mama is not pooping on our balcony anymore. The nest is still there, but the little family has flown away, probably into Shawnee National Forest, down the road. Maybe if I get a birdbath and put one of my gnomes outside to guard it, the finches will come to visit. The heat index tomorrow will be well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and I'm sure they could use some cooling off. And I miss those little birds already.

No comments: