October 24, 2005

A410 in the house.

Why don't I use a Canon Powershot A520 anymore? Well, I don't want to talk about it. I'll talk around it and mention that I have owned four and rejected two more at stores. Not to mention the two A620s I had to return (and pay the restocking fee on one because the jerk Geek Squad bonehead didn't believe me about one). Canon's new 4X zoom lense is crap. They all have lint, dirt or hair under them. One of them was actually chipped! Every photo I've taken since getting that damned thing has a huge white dot in it. Damn it. So I thought I'd give Canon my consumer finger and buy something from someone else. But I couldn't find anything anywhere made by anyone that didn't get bad reviews, cost too much or look and feel ugly to me. Nothing else worked. So I was ready to spend a lot of money I don't have on an expensive Canon. A fancy one or a sexy one that is the size of a credit card. Then I thought about it. Number one, John ain't got much money. Number two, I'd just baby it and never use it. Number three, I didn't want to give Canon much more bread. Number three, why complicate my life more by getting a complicated camera for hobby shots? So I bought the Powershot A410. It's brand-new (came out like last week), but it only has 3.2MP. So what? It does more than the A520 (and A620, since the A410 has a supermacro mode). It has full manual controls and some cool modes. And it was cheap. And sexy. Since my photos are for blogs that get reduced in size and quality anyway, I really don't care about the MP. I don't print photos anyway. If I did, I'd get a film camera and save some money. This baby has the new DIGIC II chip, is USB 2.0 compliant, is very small and fits 535 pictures only my SanDisc Ultra II memory card. And it can take close-ups wherein a pencil point fills up the whole shot. That's sweet. Yeah, sweet. The LCD screen is small (which I like, since I'm always paranoid about scratching them), and Canon cut a few more corners to make it cheaper. But at only $149 for a really nice camera from Canon, you can't really complain much. However, Canon, if you can read this, I'm flipping you off right now from my computer for making me run around like I did. Wankers.

7 comments:

Bowman said...

I know Cannon has the best ratings for digital cameras. Have you ever considered Olympus? Mine is Olympus with 4.0MP and 10X zoom--it's pretty sweet for the price. Since you said you only use for blogs, there's really no point going over 3.2MP anyhow. I am waiting for the higher MP cameras to come down before I buy another one. I like to do a lot of cropping and while still giving the picture a crisp look. Just my thoughts...

Pragmatik said...

I like your camera a lot, but I couldn't find it when I was shopping:) A few of the Olympi get some pretty good reviews, though. They have one with a 2.5 inch screen now -- freakin huge.

Anonymous said...

life is nothing but a big picture anyway.....

remember KODAK

Pragmatik said...

Life's a perrrty pixture, too.

Anonymous said...

can you speell

Pragmatik said...

Spelling is for nerds and commies!

Anonymous said...

kool...........